History of PROS

  • 2017

    Dr. Dennis Doromal was elected president of PROS.

  • 2016

    The Maria Reyna Xavier University Hospital in Cagayan de Oro installed a Varian Clinac IX machine.

  • 2016

    The Metropolitan Medical Center installed an Elekta Precise linear accelerator.

  • 2016

    St. Paul’s Hospital in Iloilo opened its Cancer Institute, the first center to be fully equipped with both chemotherapy and radiation facilities in the Visayas region. The Institute was equipped with a TomoTherapy HD machine.

  • 2016

    Bethany Hospital in La Union acquired another Elekta unit.

  • 2016

    The Philippine General Hospital acquired its first linear accelerator machine and installed a Cobalt-60 HDR brachytherapy machine.

  • 2016

    The Gyne HDR Brachytherapy Lecture Series and Workshop was held together with the 6th Residents’ Research Forum.

  • 2015

    The Chong Hua Hospital in Cebu City installed a Varian Trilogy machine.

  • 2015

    The National Kidney and Transplant Institute installed a Varian Clinac machine.

  • 2015

    The Asian Hospital Medical Center installed a TomoTherapy HDA machine.

  • 2015

    Dr. Kathleen Baldivia was elected president of PROS.

  • 2015

    Guest Faculty included Drs. Gert Meijer, Neil Burnet, Nicola Dinapoli and Michael Sharpe.

  • 2015

    PROS-ESTRO-SEAROG Convention focused on Advanced Treatment Planning.

  • 2014

    The Cagayan de Oro Polymedic Cancer Center installed an Elekta machine.

  • 2014

    Mother Teresa of Calcutta Medical Center in Pampanga installed a TomoTherapy HD machine.

  • 2014

    The Medical City installed a TrueBeam machine.

  • 2014

    The Federation of Asian Organizations for Radiation Oncology (FARO) was established with PROS as one of the founding members. Dr. Miriam Calaguas was appointed as the Educational Committee Head.

  • 2014

    The PROS Annual Convention for the year focused on Multidisciplinary Perspectives in the Management of Metastatic Disease: Radiobiologic Basis and Current Evidence. Guest Faculty included Drs. Daniel Tan, Melvin Chua and DongHan Lee.

  • 2013

    The third PROS-ASTRO-SEAROG educational course with the theme Integrating Tomorrow’s Therapeutic Modalities for Common Cancers… Today. Guest Faculty included Drs. Michael Sharpe, Andrew Lee, John Suh, Larry Kestin and Nancy Lee. Dr. Enrico Tangco was elected president of PROS.

  • 2012

    The PROS Annual Convention focused on Pediatric Tumors Revisited. Guest Faculty from the United States, headed by Dr. Arnold Paulino, included Drs. Paul Chuba, Anita Mahajan, Natia Esiashvili and Kenneth Roberts. Local faculty included Amy Goleta-Dy and Iluminada Camagay. The Makati Medical Center installed a TomoTherapy Hi-Art machine and a Cobalt-60 HDR brachytherapy unit. The Lung Center of the Philippines installed a Varian Clinac CX machine. The Davao Regional Medical Center installed a Siemens Oncor machine.

  • 2011

    PROS, together with ASTRO, IAEA and SEAROG, held an educational symposium at St. Luke’s Global City on Image Guided Radiation Therapy for Common Cancers in the Region. Guest faculty included Drs. Ritsuko Komaki, James Cox, Joseph Chang, Jennifer Bellon, Jatinder Palta, Padraig Warde and Kenneth Hu. An IAEA Regional Training Course with the theme The Shift from 2D to 3D to IMRT was held at the same time. Guest Faculty from the IAEA included Drs. Jacob van Dyk and Graham Stevens. Dr. Nonette Cupino was elected president of PROS.

  • 2010

    The Dagupan Doctors’ Villaflor Memorial Hospital in Pangasinan installed a Varian Clinac CX machine.

  • 2010

    The first PROS Resident’s Research Forum was held in Bohol. PROS, together with experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), held an educational course featuring IAEA-QUATRO Quality Assurance Techniques in Radiation Oncology. Guest faculty included Drs. Eduardo Zubizaretta and Brendan Healy. A lecture by Dr. Bin Teh on Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) was included as a lunch symposium.

  • 2010

    The Cancer Institute of the Sacred Heart Medical Center in Pampanga, equipped with a Siemens Oncor machine, was launched.

  • 2009

    Dr. Miriam Calaguas was elected president of both PROS and SEAROG.

  • 2009

    PROS, together with SEAROG and the European Society for Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ESTRO), held an educational course on 3D Brachytherapy for Gynecologic Malignancies and Other Conformal Techniques in Clinical Practice. Dr. Richard Potter was the course director.

  • 2007

    The brachytherapy unit of the Cardinal Santos Medical Center became operational.

  • 2007

    The Southeast Asian Radiation Oncology Group (SEAROG) was established, with PROS as a charter member.

  • 2007

    Dr. Edilberto Joaquin Fragante was elected president of PROS.

  • 2006

    PROS, together with the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO), held an educational course with the theme Current Trends and Future Directions in Radiation Oncology. ASTRO Faculty included Drs. William Shipley, Lawrence Marks, Bernard Cummings, Albert Koong, Anthony Fyles and Jatinder Palta.

  • 2005

    The Benavides Cancer Institute (BCI) of the University of Santo Tomas Hospital (USTH) was inaugurated.

  • 2005

    PROS Annual Convention focused on Pediatric Oncology Multidisciplinary Topics, which included lectures on sarcoma, medulloblastoma and astrocytoma among others. Guest Faculty included Drs. Raymond Barba and Miriam Kimpo.

  • 2004

    The Cardinal Santos Medical Center installed a Varian 23ex linear accelerator.

  • 2004

    PROS held its first annual convention independent of the PCR at the Manila Polo Club. General Radiation Oncology topics including clinical radiation oncology, physics treatment planning and dosimetry were discussed.

  • 2002

    Dr. Teresa Sy Ortin was elected president of PROS.

  • 1999

    The Davao Doctors’ Hospital installed an Elekta Synergy machine.

  • 1998

    Radiation Oncology ceased to become a 3-year fellowship program with the official institution of the PROS Radiation Oncology Residency Program.

  • 1998

    PROS hosted its first independent scientific meeting on Radiation Biology concurrent with the PCR Annual Convention in Manila Ramada Hotel. Professor Michael Barton was the guest speaker.

  • 1997

    The Radiation Oncology Section, under the Department of Radiological Sciences, of the University of Perpetual Help Dalta Medical Center was inaugurated. Dr. Eduardo Nievera was the section chief.

  • 1993

    Dr. Gaudencio Vega, Jr. was elected president of PROS.

  • 1990s

    St. Luke’s Medical Center obtained Cobalt-60 machines and High-dose-rate Brachytherapy units. The Cobalt-60 machines were later replaced by linear accelerators.

  • 1990

    Dr. Eduardo Nievera was elected president of PROS.

  • 1988

    Dr. Tranquilino Elicano acquired 3 linear accelerators for the National Cancer Control Center.

  • 1988

    The Philippine Radiation Oncology Society (PROS) was formed as a distinct subspecialty society of the PCR. Dr. Bienvenido Lapus was the first president.

  • 1984

    In September 12, 1984, the Radiotherapy Group of the PCR was reorganized into the Section of Radiation Oncology. Its first organizational meeting was held at the Manila Polo Club with Dr. Reynaldo Gregorio as the founding president.

  • 1983

    The Lung Center of the Philippines was inaugurated. It was equipped with a linear accelerator and a Cobalt-60 machine.

  • 1976

    The Radiotherapy Group was formed as a special interest group of the Philippine College of Radiology (PCR). Dr. Reynaldo Gregorio was president.

  • 1974

    Ospital ng Maynila received a Cobalt-60 machine donated by a Japanese philanthropist. This was used by Drs. Leon, Lopez and Tan.

  • 1967

    Another Cobalt-60 machine was installed in Iloilo under Dr. Daniel Ledesma.

  • 1962

    The PGH Cancer Institute acquired a Cobalt-60 machine and launched its brachytherapy facilities, equipped with Cesium sources.

  • 1960s

    In the early 1960s, the GSIS Hospital (now known as the East Avenue Medical Center) installed a Cobalt-60 machine.

  • 1958

    The Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center acquired a Cobalt-60 machine used by Drs. Silverio, Lopez, Elicano and Anatalio.

  • 1955

    The Veterans Memorial Hospital launched its radiotherapy facilities.

  • 1940s

    In the late1940s, the University of Santo Tomas Hospital installed a Picker Deep X-ray Therapy Unit, headed by Dr. Paulino J. Garcia.

  • 1940s

    In the early 1940s, the first private practice clinic equipped with a Stabilivolt Superficial X-ray Unit was established by Dr. Daniel Ledesma.

  • 1941

    The PGH Cancer Institute was inaugurated and opened to the public.

  • 1938

    Commonwealth Act #398, signed by President Manuel Quezon, created the Cancer Institute at PGH.

  • 1937

    The X-ray and Electrotherapeutic Department of PGH expanded to include the cancer treatment center. Dr. Paterno Chikiamco served as the hospital physicist and was the country’s first radiation physicist.

  • 1926

    Physicians practicing radium therapy included Drs. Angelo Singian, Nicanor Jacinto, Jesus Ascano, Daniel Ledesma and Jose Borromeo.

  • 1910

    In September 1910, the X-ray and Electrotherapeutic Department of the Philippine General Hospital (PGH), headed by Dr. A. Clemente, PhD in Chemistry, started operations with a small radium emanation room.